Subject: Commercial support for NetBSD...
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/1998 16:13:49
So, is there any?  Does anyone know of any interest in this?

I've been thinking that, despite my incessant stupid questions, I could
probably have a go at offering support for NetBSD.  (I have a few years'
experience in doing phone and email support for Unix systems.)  I am sort
of curious as to what's out there, if anything, and how interested people
would be in support.

I'm thinking of a few different kinds of things:

1.  Incident-based support.  You need an answer to a question, and for
whatever reason, you can't get what you need off of the mailing lists.
2.  Warranty/install support; you pay some amount of money to be assured
that someone will help you get NetBSD installed on a given machine.
3.  Support contracts of the usual sort, including bug fixes, updates,
and so on.
4.  A central point to match up people willing to develop for money, and
people needing development done.

This is currently fairly embryonic, and also completely hypothetical... but
if there were enough interest, I could probably come up with the basics
(1-800 number, billing structure, and reasonably competent support staff)
for a support group for NetBSD.

-s