Subject: Re: Please make it stop..
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/11/1998 13:17:46
At 12:24 PM 6/11/98 , you wrote:
>tooleym@Douglas.BC.CA writes:
>> This spam is killing me.. I can't believe this sudden upsurgence of
>> crap that comes through the NetBSD mailing lists..  Guys! Can we do
>> *any*thing about this at the mailing list? Did some pissant start
>> archiving the lists on a web server again?
>>
>> *sigh*
>
>Checkout:
>http://www.senate.gov/~murkowski/commercialemail/EMailAmendText.html
>
>According to the effective date (30 days after the date of enactment),
>assuming May 12, 1998 is the enactment date, today should be the first
>day this bill is enforceable.  I'm not a lawyer.  I am making assumptions,
>but this unidentified SPAM *should* be illegal starting today or tomorrow.
>(and can be reported to the Federal Trade Commission)

Uh, I hate to break it to you but in our (American) form of constitutional
democracy a Bill doesn't mean anything.  As you may remember from your
Saturday
morning SchoolHouse Rock (
http://genxtvland.simplenet.com/SchoolHouseRock/song.hts?lo+bill ) A Bill is
what a law is before it becomes a law.  According to the page you cited the
Bill has been passed by the Senate, but this still doesn't mean anything to
you
and me.  A Bill must be passed by both houses of the Legislature (The House
and
The Senate) and then either signed by the President, left on his desk for 10
days without signature, or vetoed and then the veto overriden before it
becomes
a law and means anything to you and me.  According to
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@L this bill: Passed
Senate with an amendment by Yea-Nay Vote. 99-0. Record Vote No: 130 and on May
13, 98: Message on Senate action sent to the House.  Thus if you wish to use
this to get relief your best course of action would be to get your local
congresscritter to loby for the bill.
--------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com