Subject: Re: this is becoming a common problem - sup errors again today
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1998 21:47:52
> > ...unfortunately, the SUP scanner treats files as "changed" if the ctime
> > changes ... and just recursively chmod'ing the files will update the ctime
> > on all of them :-/
>
> find ${dir} ! -perm -0444 | xargs chmod a+r
>
> should probably do what you want...

Forgive me if I'm wading in without necessarily knowing what I'm talking
about, but doesn't the SUP scanner run on a checked out copy of a CVS
repository?  If so, then it is the repository that needs the file
permissions fixing, and CVS won't update a file just because its date
stamp has changed.

BTW.  I'd use:

	find ${dir} -type f ! -perm -0444 ....

So that you don't keep acting on directories.  Perhaps another find is
needed for added directories.

Also, what about executable scripts?

Richard.