Subject: ASC/ASCQ numbers?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@honors.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1998 14:23:44
I recently had some weird problems with my exabyte tape, and I called
their tech support about it.  The guy I talked to seemed to believe that
the SCSI error message should include ASC/ASCQ numbers, but the one I have
on my console (and in syslog) is:

Jun 10 00:15:31 clydesdale /netbsd: st0(aic0:2:0):  Check Condition on opcode 0x0
Jun 10 00:15:31 clydesdale /netbsd:     SENSE KEY:  Hardware Error
Jun 10 00:15:31 clydesdale /netbsd:  COMMAND INFO:  1 (0x1)
Jun 10 00:15:31 clydesdale /netbsd:      ASC/ASCQ:  Mechanical Positioning Error
Jun 10 00:15:31 clydesdale /netbsd:

All it says is, "Mechanical Positioning Error."  Is there a way to get the
ASC/ASCQ numbers?  (What *are* the ASC/ASCQ numbers, anyway?)

Chris

Chris Jones                                           cjones@math.montana.edu
           Mad scientist at large                     cjones@honors.montana.edu