Subject: Re: problems with arpa/inet.h
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1998 21:52:38
At 20:17 Uhr +0200 09.06.1998, Scott Reynolds wrote:

>The main problem with this reasoning is that cpp only knows this for a
>single invocation. I don't know about you, but compiling one source file
>and that may have one or two files included multiple times is simply _not_
>a concern.  The real issue is having headers pull in other headers (which
>may pull in other headers)... think `how much output from cpp is cc1 going
>to have to chew on?'  Now, multiply this processing time by N source
>files.

And start to debug the cpp output if anything goes wrong, I may add.

Not including headers from other headers as a rule leaves at least a slight
chance of understanding for those unfamiliar with a program's structure.
Source files stay somewhat self-contained, and you can see what's imported
without following each and every header three levels deep.

	hauke