Subject: Re: problems with arpa/inet.h
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1998 14:10:29
>Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 08:03:07 -0400 (EDT)
>From: der Mouse  <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>

>But I have just this to ask: where were you with these arguments when
>the build process was changed to walk the entire source tree doing a
>"make includes", instead of knowing where the installable includes
>live?  In my off-the-cuff estimate, that takes more time than multiple
>reading of multiply included headers would (especially since such
>headers will usually hit the buffer cache).

Out to lunch, apparently.  However, the tree traversal for includes:
may be easily pruned by adding

includes:

to the Makefiles for subtrees without any installable headers
(e.g. src/share/Makefile).  Truth be told, I usually run 'make
includes' only in src/include and src/sys, not from src.
--
Mike Long <mikel(at)shore.net>             http://www.shore.net/~mikel