Subject: Re: problems with arpa/inet.h
To: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/1998 08:27:23
In message <199806090557.BAA16533@northshore.shore.net>, Mike Long writes:
>>> Code that forgets <netinet/in.h> before <arpa/inet.h> will fail to
>>> compile on a lot more than just NetBSD....

>>So?  Its being widespread doesn't make it any less of a bug either.

>This, folks, is what is commonly known as "an opinion."  Many others
>disagree.

I would say that any man page that shows <arpa/inet.h> being included before
calling a function, ought to show <netinet/in.h> before that; this is the
traditional solution.

>So, just how much time does your system spend reading the same headers
>over and over while rebuilding the world?  How much time would that
>take on something like a VAX?  Multiple inclusion protection does not
>keep cpp from reading the whole header each time it is #included.

Allegedly, if you do the #ifndef dance, gcc's cpp will DTRT... But still,
I'm slowly coming to agree with the "no multiple inclusion" crowd.  Rob
Pike is probably the most eloquent on this issue...

-s