Subject: Re: Quantum Fireball 4GB drive.
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1998 22:02:14
Christopher R. Bowman wrote:
| At 05:53 PM 6/7/98 , Curt Sampson wrote:
| >Uh...price? Around here a 4.3 GB Baracuda is $880; a 4.3 GB Fireball
| >is $390.
| >
| Wow, that is a lot, I justpicked up my Ultra Wide 9 Gig IBM drive (7200 RPM)
| for $610 (US)
|
| >Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca     Info at http://www.portal.ca/
| >Internet Portal Services, Inc.    Through infinite mist, software
| reverberates
| >Vancouver, BC  (604) 257-9400     In code possess'd of invisible folly.

"Around here" is Canada for us.

$1 CDN = $0.69 US.

After the banks take their cut, you effectively get a 50% markup.  $610 US
= $900 CDN.  You also must remember that Canada has both federal and
provincial sales taxes, the total ranging from a low of 7% in Alberta (GST
only) to 19% in Newfoundland (7% GST + 12% PST).

Shameless plug to American tourists: your dollars will go much farther up
north this summer, esp. since you can get the taxes back. :-)