Subject: Re: Possible problems with 1.3.2 diff
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Heiko W.Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/1998 22:35:55
On Sat, May 30, 1998 at 10:45:13AM -0700, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> My personal opinion: If you patch your source tree, you take
> responsiblity for making it work (including making future patches
> apply cleanly to it).

I totally agree for my own private changes, but the security patches
are (at least for me) some sort of interrim release.

> 	cvs import the 1.3 sources
[..]
> 	import the 1.3.2 sources

This is the next problem. Those who are familiar with doing so don't
use NetBSD releases, but track -current via sup. For the others which
are 'part time adminstrators' it is not that obvious. Especially
when there is no cookbook of doing so. As with the 1.3.1 diff there
was no instruction on how to apply the patch. Only one additional line
at the top saying "Apply:  cd /usr/ ; patch -p -E < diff-file" would
be helpful.

And at least for me, who does not have a T1 to its home, it is easier
to ftp a diff of some 500k than a release of >10MB.

> I can't address your other concerns, though (e.g. the missing
> files(?)), since i've not as much as looked at the patch.  8-)

Charles wrote that there seems to be something goofed up.

--
          See <a href="http://www.netbsd.org">NetBSD</a> for a multiplatform OS
Zum Beispiel die meisten Autofahrer. Heute erst wieder hat mich einer ueber-