Subject: Re: Generic sendmail replacement proposal
To: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/1998 20:19:32
On 30 May 1998, Ty Sarna wrote:

> Someone broght up the issue of what happens when the OS is upgraded. I
> guess sysinst would have to know about this too (pergaps just refusing
> to update base until replace-rendmail is removed).

It sounds like what we really need to be able to do is to have
version numbers in our package system and to have sysinst able to
install packages. Then sysinst could check the version of the
currently installed named, sendmail, etc. packages, and offer to
upgrade them if it has newer versions. Then we just turn all the
programs that one typically wants to update more frequently than
the OS (named and sendmail are the two that come to mind) into
packages.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates