Subject: Re: Possible problems with 1.3.2 diff
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: None <rvb@sicily.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/1998 15:35:06
Indeed Chris's recipe is right and when I've upgraded from
pre 1.0 to 1.0 to 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3, I've played this game.

But it does discourage me from picking up new releases especially
intermediate releases, because I have a lot of local diffs and
merging the patches into my tree is never trivial.

So I have a question.  Is there a policy about what goes into
a point release, how often they are made, when releases come out,
etc.  When I upgrade, I have a lot of machines to upgrade (~40)
so I don't want to upgrade w/o good reason.  Consider 1.3.1, I
was hoping that it would have some pcmcia improvements that were
in -current, the MBR id change (165->169) and some of Jason's
changes.  It didn't.  And looking at
	 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3.2/CHANGES-1.3.2
It doesn't appear that the changes are here either.  So I have to
think hard as to whether I want to upgrade to 1.3.2

So my real question is how about having a serious quarterly release
schedule that includes all features that have been stable for xxx
months before the release (xxx == 1 or 2).