Subject: Re: Sendmail and licensing (fwd)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: DAVID RANKIN <rankind@iglou.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/1998 16:36:02
> Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 14:36:26 -0500
> From: "J. Buck Caldwell" <buck_c@polygon.com>
> To: Ted Lemon <mellon@hoffman.vix.com>, Klaus Weber <gizmo@zork.north.de>
> Cc: current-users@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Sendmail and licensing

> So: Rather than bickering back and forth about something that nobody's
> tried yet, why not wait until it's released, and set up a test lab to see
> which one is best?

> Another option would be to leave the current Sendmail in the tree, and
> provide the other options as packages. Personal choice is the issue here.

> God PLEASE don't let this degrade into a "my mailer is better than your
> mailer" argument.

What, I can't proclaim BogoMailer as the best mailer since unsliced
bread? :)

Considering how little real functionality difference there is between
Sendmail 8.8.8 and Sendmail 8.9.0, I agree with a "Wait and see"
attitude. Someone might also consider reimplementing the few anti-spam
mc file features that changed between 8.8.8 and 8.9.0 for inclusion
in the *BSD file trees. I'll be trying out Zmailer myself, and waiting
for VMailer to come out to try it some.

One thing that would be good is a mailing list for this subject. It's
clear that this isn't a short-term issue, but it will be a long-term
issue. If members of the BSD (and maybe even Linux) communities are
discussing the issue in a semi-public list, then by the time Sendmail
8.8.8 starts getting worn around the edges, a solution may be found.

Thanks,
David