Subject: Re: Sendmail 8.9.0?
To: John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/1998 14:37:48
   It also says *OR* "a copy of the source code."  So if you're already
   distributing source code anyway, like NetBSD does, then that sentence
   is harmless.

NetBSD may distribute sources, but the people who distribute what
*we* release may not.  indeed, that's why we have src/gnu for code
that must come with source, etc.

   All it means is that you can't withhold, or "hide" the source.

   I don't understand why that requirement causes such great alarm among
   the advocates of BSD-style "freedom."  Why does anyone really care
   whether or not it's distasteful to a commercial organization which
   might want to hide the source?  How much active support of the project
   actually results from such organizations creating derivative works
   which are later released back to the project?

i can deal with the GPL, i dont like it but i'm happy enough
with it's conditions to use it.  this "irrevocable" part of the
sendmail license is completely unacceptable to TNF's guidelines
and project objectives.  if we had sendmail 8.9.0, it would mean
that *anyone* distributing eg. NetBSD 1.4 binaries (even with
source at the time), must *always* make the sources available.
forever.  and ever.