Subject: Re: NetBSD changes as of 1998/05/27 08:00 UTC
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1998 13:47:40
On Wed, 27 May 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Wed, 27 May 1998, NetBSD source changes wrote:
>
> : src/Makefile
> :     (scottr - Tue May 26 23:38:37 PDT 1998)
> :     Revert 1.44 and associated changes; you can't prebuild anything without
> :     includes, which is the case if you are building to an empty .
> :     Fixes PR 5497.
> :
> :     NOTE:  This reverts us to the 1.3 behavior of requiring the secr
> :     set to be installed for non-exportable builds.
>
> No, it requires that these binaries exist in a "local" build environment.
> If you want to go install a complete binary set for this, fine, but it
> doesn't have to be.  I'm seriously considering making a "toolchain:" target
> in the toplevel Makefile which unsets $DESTDIR for the time needed to build
> and install programs like rpcgen, compile_et, and make_cmds.

toolchain: sounds like the best solution. Building these tools would be an
infrequent task, so a different target from "build" is good. Also, if
you're cross-compiling the tree, it makes no sense to cross-compile these
tools early in the build process.

Also, you could add suffixes to "toolchain" to specify making all the
tools which have changed since that release. For instance, toolchain13
would build "lint" and "ld" and any other needed tools ("compile_et",
etc.). Something like this would really help people move from a release to
-current, and it concentrates all the info ("ld changed," etc.) in a place
where it will be used.

Take care,

Bill