Subject: strange behavior with logins over serial lines
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@ack.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/1998 09:28:51
I'm running NetBSD 1.3E built from 23May98 source here; and I've
just added a serial line between two machines with a null modem
cable and noticed some different behavior from 1.3.1.

When I connect to the line via tip, it announces that the
tty is tty01, but after login, I don't show in the output
from 'w' or 'finger'.  Further, next time I login it annouces
it was from dty01.

The real annoyance is that I cannot seem to get root logins to work
for this line.  I have the line marked as 'secure' in /etc/ttys.
Empirical evidence would suggest that I need an entry for dty01 also
but that seems somewhat off the beaten path.

Below is what I see when root tryed to login:

NetBSD/i386 (ra.ack.org) (tty01)

login: root
Password:
root login refused on this terminal.
May 27 08:36:29 ra login: LOGIN root REFUSED ON TTY dty01
login:

...and yet, tty01 is marked as secure.  Ideas?