Subject: Re: pppd changes
To: None <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/1998 10:06:34
>Oh, somehow I misunderstood your first message a bit. I admit I am a bit
>astonished, but that option does the trick. it would be nice if you could
>describe shortly what this "asyncmap" does. According to the man it
>escapes control sequences that can't be transferred over the line. But
>that starts for 0x00 with a value of 0x00000001 and so on. Does 0 stand
>for "All characters can be transferred"? If so, why would I need to set
>the option at all?

It's a bitmask for the first 32 characters.  A value of 0x00000001 means
"escape ASCII 0x01", a value of 0x00000002 means "escape ASCII 0x02",
a value of 0x00000003 means "escape ASCII 0x01 and 0x02", etc etc.  A
value of 0x00 means "don't escape any characters".

As for why you would need this option at all ... I'm not quite sure,
actually.  I believe that if this isn't specified at all, you don't
negotiate an asyncmap and both sides are expected to escape all
characters.  Do you know what's on the remote end?

--Ken