Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/1998 22:12:45
On Mon, 25 May 1998, John Nemeth wrote:

: } Disable Berkeley ar, nm, ranlib, size, and strings, and enable binutils.
:
:      Is there any particular reason why more copylefted code is being
: added to the main distribution?  What is so wrong with the Berkeley
: utilities, that they can't be adapted to NetBSD's needs?

We're moving to a set of toolchain utilities that can be used both in a
native environment, and in a cross-compile environment.  That way, we're
guaranteed the same results no matter which you use.

The source tree is well-segregated to make sure that such code is easily and
readily available if necessary.