Subject: Re: pppd changes
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/1998 12:16:42
In article <Pine.NEB.3.96.980525172244.521B-100000@localhost>,
Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@labitzke.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

>Hello...

>Some time ago (May, 2nd according to the file checkin date)
>src/usr.sbin/pppd/pppd/lcp.c got changed. Since then I have been unable to
>connect to my provider correctly. The connection was established, sending
>of data seemed to work, as the modem seemed to report answers (e.g. for
>pings). The problem was, that no data came through the pppd back to th
>system. So I didn't get ping-answers or anything else to see. I used an
>old version of pppd to circumvent the problem. A few minutes ago I
>stumbled across that problem again as I did another build. So I looked for
>the problem and found the offending changes. Since May 2nd quite some time
>has gone by and no other persons seem to experience that problem, so I
>describe it here first, but will send-pr it, if needed.

Actually, I've had a similar problem recently.  In my case it was pppd
running on the receiving end (I dial into my office NetBSD machine), but
the symptoms were the same - the modem connects fine, pppd runs, but I'm
unable to make any useful connections through the link.  I ended up
using the 1.3 pppd to bypass the problem, as I didn't have time to try
to track down exactly which changes in pppd caused the trouble.  So go
ahead and send-pr it, it's not just your setup.

>I have to point out, that I didn't try to understand the problem really, I
>just backed out the most probable part and I found it to work again. Here
>is the diff:

[ diff snipped ]

Unfortunately, I'm leaving this afternoon for the Black Hills, so I won't
have a chance to test out your diff.

--
John Darrow  (ISCA:  Jdarrow)  (ICQ:  1725164) <*>
Lab Associate for Academic Computing, Science Division