Subject: Re: New IDE system: first pass
To: None <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/1998 14:05:51
seebs@plethora.net wrote:
> >There's a standard interface.  Devices which claim to support the
> >standard interface should be supported by the driver.
>
> Yes!  I use a Macintosh.  It will not use *ANY* SCSI disk made today, because
> the O/S has a table of supported SCSI devices.  It contains only those SCSI
> devices that have been shipped with Macintoshes.

What?  Where'd you get that idea?  If you're talking about Apple's
partitioning software, yes, it won't normally recognize non-Apple drives,
but there's a simple hack around that.  I don't believe there is any table
of supported SCSI devices in MacOS, tho.....

> Third party drivers will, of course, work with "any SCSI device".

I've certainly seen some onery devies, tho...

Later.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation