Subject: Re: Kaffee for NetBSD reference?
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: John C. Hayward <John.C.Hayward@wheaton.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/1998 12:00:31
There is also a port from NetBSD to JDK-1.1.5:
http://www.quick.com.au/java/
which is also based on the FreeBSD port.

As far as speed goes while I have not done any extensive testing
my sense is that:
kaffe which supports Java 1.0.x and awt compiles and runs fastest

kaffe which supports Java 1.1.x (no awt support) and
NetBSD JDK-1.1.5 run about the same time.

I know that kaffe has the Just In Time compile (JIT) facility and
the environment was noticably faster than running on JDK on a sun.
(at least in the past)

The kaffe which supports 1.0.x has some bugs in the awt facility
(0.89)

The kaffe which supports 1.1.x seems to compile nicly but the
  runtime awt stuff does not work - you can run other intrepters.
(0.92)

Both earlier versions required a little bit of tweaking to get working.

There is a new version of kaffe (10.0) which initially did not have
support for awt - which now some people report you can use some of the
biss-0.96(?) classes to run java-1.1 with awt support.

For the least hassle you might want to consider the 1.1.5 port to NetBSD
if you want to try kaffe 10.0 you might need to use a little bailing wire
to get everything to work.
johnh...