Subject: Re: Problem with KDE package
To: None <mark@giganet.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 05/15/1998 20:34:49
On Fri, 15 May 1998 18:59:49 +0900 (JST),
Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net> wrote:

> Umm, if I do a 'rm -R /usr/pkgsrc' then I lose all record of what packages
> I have added.  In other words, doing a 'pkg-info' no longer works.

You're confusing /usr/pkgsrc with /var/db/pkg.

> The exact comamnd I used to untar the pkgsrc.tar.gz was
>
>    tar --unlink -zxvpf pkgsrc.tar.gz
>
> This should first delete any old Makefiles and overwrite them with the
> new ones.

The point is, the command above doesn't delete the files (mostly
patches) that are no longer in the repository.  They disappear from
the repository when they are no longer necessary, usually when the
diffes are integrated into the said software's source and the changes
are reflected to the package.

BTW, I believe --unlink option is necessary only for safely replacing
executable files running at the time of untarring.  As there's usually
no running executable files under /usr/pkgsrc directory, --unlink will
do nothing crucial.

Later,

Ken