Subject: Re: calendar diffs, et. al.
To: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 05/13/1998 10:16:18
On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 09:08:05AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:

> Would that be the 12th of April, or the 4th of December?
>
> Please don't use date formats that can confuse people.  Even if the man
> page says that the format is mm/dd/yyyy, that middle-endian format is very
> unnatural for most folk outside North America, and people will make
> mistakes.

Hm... I hadn't considered this, but your argument is valid. I hadn't
considered this. I guess this is something that should change. We'll
have to change all the existing calendar files, but that's probably
worthwhile.

However... The bit of code that deals with date formatting is fairly self-
contained, so I think I'm going to work on the format extensions first
anyway. I'll then proceed to look at the ISO date standards and see what
can be done about supporting them.

I'm envisioning something like this, including everything so far:

*-07-24 +15/1972 Mason's Birthday.
07-04 +5 American Independence Day

Although... Thinking about it, that's using the same order, and simply
tacking the year onto the other side... But, whatever. It makes more
sense that way, I guess.

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments