Subject: Re: Amanda Success
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@cynjut.neonramp.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/1998 07:32:56

> On Wed, 06 May 1998 20:15:56 -0700
>  Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:
>
>  > Dave Burgess wrote:
>  > >
>  > > -  I grabbed 'gdb' and used the only command I understand (bt) and found
>  > > that the SYSvSHM routine was doing something the system didn't like (a
>  > > 'unimplemented system call in shmget()').  I added a new option to
>  > > 'configure': --with-mmap (to not use the SYSV stuff and use mmap()).
>  > >
>  >
>  > Hmm. It'd be nice to know if the SHM stuff will work sometime again.
>
> It works fine if you have "options SYSVSHM" in your kernel config.

Which, of course, was the first thing I checked....

I wasn't trying to imply that the shared memory stuff wasn't working.
In fact, without the recent discussion of mmap funtions, I wouldn't have
even known where to look.

>From what I can see, AMANDA will always work (for NetBSD) with the mmap
stuff, but may or may noi work with the SYSV stuff (depending on the
kernel options).  For me, it was easier to build AMANDA (which, if Jaime
still reads this list, is an AWESOME tape backup system) with the mmap
features turned on than it was to build and load a new kernel on one of
my webservers...

The fact that it works "out of the box" was pretty cool too.

AN obvious question begs to be asked, of course.  I saw the same
question for the new version of innd, which is: "How do we handle a
package that doesn't need packaging, but has some options that need to
be set for improved performance?"

--
Dave Burgess                   Network Engineer - Nebraska On-Ramp, Inc.
*bsd FAQ Maintainer / SysAdmin for the NetBSD system in my spare bedroom