Subject: Re: HTML documentation and such
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1998 19:45:55
Rick> Call me old-fashioned, but nroff and man work pretty well for me.
Rick> I see it as a win to have a single standard for documentation.

  I agree... the new format is HTML :-)

    Ty> But seriously... I'm not suggesting we switch any existing
    Ty> documentation to HTML, but we do need a place to put stuff that's

  Agreed.

    Ty> convert man, mdoc, me (for existing /usr/share/doc stuff), info, and
    Ty> whatever else to HTML, so that one can easily make all the NetBSD
    Ty> documentation avaible via the web in pretty formats.

  My preference is that we have lynx in the /usr/src/gnu, and have a
rule to do lynx -dump to convert .html to .0, and install that in
/usr/share/man/cat?. I like the idea that "man foo" can pull it up.
  I'd suggest that we have:
	/usr/share/man/html?

  for HTML documentation sources.  Ideally, a nice "mime.types" file
might be enough to let a browser do useful things with /usr/share/man...

   :!mcr!:            |  Sandelman Software Works Corporation, Ottawa, ON
   Michael Richardson |	SSH IPsec: http://www.ssh.fi/. Secure, strong, international
 Personal: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.
 Corporate: sales@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca.