Subject: Re: heavy use of mmap() ?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <>
From: Scott Ellis <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/30/1998 18:07:21
On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
>der Mouse wrote:
>> > I recall a discussion some time ago about heavy use of mmap()
>> > actually _decreasing_ performace of reads from mmap()ped files.
>Am I right using mmap() by Web server would be "safe" in any case ?
>Or is there anything I miss ?
I've been using Apache 1.3beta for about 2 months now, configured to use =
(very similar, if not identical to what somebody posted to current-users =
a month ago), and have seen no problems.  Subjectively, it seems like I'm
getting better performance than w/o the mmap() configured into Apache, bu=
t I
haven't done any tests to be sure.  I have two machines running this, one=
486/66 running a -current from early March w/UVM and PMAP_NEW that is qui=
active (it's an Artwork server on our intranet), and another a P100 that'=
lightly excercised here at home.=20

Count at least one vote for modifying the default NetBSD apache config to=

  //    Scott Ellis     //   //   //
// WARNING: This signature warps  time and space in its vicinity    //