Subject: Re: I should know this... but...
To: Matthew P. Jacob <mjacob@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/1998 10:16:34
On Tue, Apr 28, 1998 at 04:39:08PM -0700, Matthew P. Jacob wrote:
> Ummm- for two 1.3 (alpha) NetBSD machines, what's the maximum
> file size you can read across NFS? I have a > 2GB file on
> one machine that when I attempt to read via NFS on the
> other machine it just silent exits w/o any data transfer.

The client side limit for NetBSD is 4G for v2, and MAXINT * DEV_BSIZE -1
for v3. For v3, the server can advertise a lower limit, in which case
this will be used. The limit used by the NetBSD server is whatever
the exported filesystem reports.

In the past, there was a bug that would cause files > 4G to be silently
truncated over NFS, but this was fixed some time ago, certainly before 1.3.
Perhaps you can watch was going on over the wire. If the client
gets the max. filesize wrong, writes should fail with EFBIG even before
they are sent out, too.

- Frank