Subject: Re: problems installing on Notebook with 1.3.1
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Nathan J Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/1998 11:31:31
>  [I had the same problem with 1.3]
>  My 3c589 gets probed properly. When it gets configured with the 1.3.1
>install disk, it gets irq 11. IRQ 11 does not seem to work with this
>card.
>
>  If I build a kernel that has fewer devices, then I can free up enough
>IRQs <9 and it works (typically, irq 5 gets used).
>  If I put my PCMCIA 28.8 modem in, I can use it just fine.
>  I noticed last time (with 1.3) that the irqmask from the 3c589 says
>that any irq can be used. The 28.8 modem is far more specific about its
>needs.
>
>  I get a phantom com1 probed, btw.
>
>  Does this ring a bell to anyone? I'm installing in a new PCMCIA HD
>that I just bought for it, so I'm happy to try anything people would
>like me to.
>  {I still have my 135Mb drive to swap back in that works}

	This sounds like irq 11 is being reserved/used for some other
purpose in the machine (the irqmask reported by the PC card is what
the card can cope with, not necessairly what the system can cope
with). The workaround is to set options PCIC_ISA_INTR_ALLOC_MASK to
some mask that doesn't have bit 11 set. The default mask is 0xfbff
(all but bit 10, because of the NEC Versa), so you might try 0xf7ff or
0xf3ff, depending on whether you want to leave irq 10 masked out.

	As for the phantom com1, two things come to mind: IR port (my
laptop only has one physical serial port but presents a com interface
to the other one) and the modem card remaining configured after a soft
reset - but it doesn't look like the card is still inserted.

	What kind of laptop is this, by the way?

	- Nathan