Subject: Re: Mylex RAID card
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG, mjacob@feral.com, tomthai@future.net>
From: Alan Poston <poston@testarossa.nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/1998 17:39:58
>I might have said that. Progress is nowhere until Alan Poston
>gets with Mylex to get the necessary information.

I haven't subscribed to this mailing list, but I'd like to respond...
I did talk to Mylex extensively about someone (namely NASA) doing
a NetBSD driver for their RAID card (DAC960).  At first they were
very reluctant to allow anyone to do this and expressed the standard
concerns related to engineering support requirements, etc.  But
I kept harping on the positive PR benefits.  So they agreed
"in principle" but wanted to meet with us.

As it turns out, we (NASA) got very busy with other parts of
this project and couldn't spin the resource needed to do a Mylex
RAID driver anyway, so I dropped it.  We could possibly revive
it if there was someone in NetBSD land with sufficient interest
and time (we could even pony up a card or two for development).

-Alan Poston