Subject: arp problem
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Boven <paul@wit399401.student.utwente.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1998 00:53:38
Hi folks,

After upgrading my Sparc IPX with an extra ethernet-card (FSBE/S) I
am running into a small problem with arp.
This machine now has two interfaces: le0 is the local (10.x.x.x) network,
while le1 is the rest of the world. So far, so good. At the other end
of the local network is a sparc SLC that I want to use as an Xterm.
ifconfig.le(0/1) both contain only "inet x.x.x.x" and route-wise,
everything seems to be set up fine too: the 10.x.x.x network is listed
as link#1.

Problem is, that after the SLC has requested its IP-address via RARP,
and wants to have its bootfile, it cannot be delivered because the
IPX does not know the HW-address it has (host is down).
And for some reason, it won't
do an ARP request out over the le0. After manually setting the
hardware address of the SLC into the IPX's arp-table with arp -s,
it will boot up without any trouble whatsoever.

Is there any reason why arp would not work on this interface,
or another reason for this not to work?

Systems are both running 1.3.1 from the snapshot.

Regards, happy hacking, Paul.
Paul Boven, <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>  PE1NUT  QRV 145.575 JO32KF
               Support Search and Rescue: Get lost.