Subject: Re: warnings compiling the kernel with gcc 2.8.1
To: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/18/1998 19:20:50
On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Taras Ivanenko wrote:
> around the body of the first 'if'. If this is not deemed necessary, we
> need some compiler switch to suppress those warnings. I can go through

The -Wno-parentheses switch will turn off those warnings...

> As a side comment, I still got a warning about main() function, no
> matter what switches I gave to compiler (-Wno-main or -ffreestanding)

Yeah, I noticed that too... it looks like with the standard gcc 2.8.1,
there's no way to turn off the warning about main(); in one place, it
issues the warning if warn_main is true, but in another place, it warns
when warn_main is _not_ true... very strange. The egcs in the NetBSD
tree has the latter warning #ifdefed out though.

BTW, perhaps you'll have better luck than me, but a mac68k kernel
cross-compiled from NetBSD/i386 with gcc 2.8.1 hung during the adb probe
(HWDIRECT ADB on a 660av). gcc 2.7.2.x and the NetBSD's egcs produce a
working kernel though.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++