Subject: Re: Installer proposal...
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1998 15:10:04
At 4:47 AM -0700 4/14/98, der Mouse wrote:
>>> 10base2 : BNC  /=  10baseT : UTP
>
>True...as far as it goes.
>
>> Well, frankly I don't understand why /.* after 10base[25T] is
>> necessary at all.  AFAIK, 10base2 means you use BNC connector and

>> So, to me, it seems totally redundant.
>
>> Why can't we just use 10base[25T]?
>
>Because if you're using the AUI connector, there's no way to tell
>whether you're using 10base5, 10base2, or 10baseT.  All AUI is is a
>well-defined transceiver interface.  10base* is on the other side of
>the transceiver from anything the host can detect or control through an
>AUI interface.  I've used AUI with all three media types, at various

But that's exactly the point:  the computer can't tell.  Since it can't
tell and you could have anything there (including fiber) it makes no sense
to require the user to input possibly incorrect information.

IMHO the user input should match what is actually under the computer's
control:  which physical interface the signal is on, AUI, BNC, or RJ45.  (A
given card may not allow software control of that, and it may not allow all
three either.)