Subject: Re: Adaptec 7895 controller
To: Laine Stump <laine@MorningStar.Com>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1998 12:37:10
>We have some Intel DK440LX motherboards (dual PII) which have an
>integrated Adaptec 7895 controller. This is a dual channel, ultra-wide
>controller similar to the 3940. It isn't recognized by 1.3.1 kernels:
>
>  Adaptec product 0x7895 (SCSI mass storage, revision 0x03) at pci0 dev 9 func
>tion 0 not configured
>  Adaptec product 0x7895 (SCSI mass storage, revision 0x03) at pci0 dev 9 func
>tion 1 not configured
>

>Is there something simple I can do to make it work, or do I need to wait
>for a new driver? Time to import a new version from FreeBSD?

The aic7890/91, aic7895, and aic7896/97 chips are only supported by the
CAM version of the FreeBSD aic7xxx driver (i.e. even FreeBSD-current does
not support them).  Porting the CAM driver to a non-CAM platform is non
trivial and since the FreeBSD migration path is towards CAM, I haven't
even attempted it.  I don't know what the best solution for NetBSD is.

--
Justin