Subject: Re: IPNAT box, and ethernet cards
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/1998 20:16:59
Space Case wrote:

| Normally, I'm a Mac kind of guy, but I've recently picked up a PC and a
| couple of ethernet cards to use as an IPNAT box between a cable modem
| and a small (~6 hosts) local network.  I have a couple of questions:
|
| The PC is a Gateway 2000 486/33.  Does it have enough horsepower to
| handle the job?

For personal use, it should.  If you are running high-volume servers, then
it may not.

Two data points:

1. My NAT box, squeeze.inode.org a.k.a. cpu1532.adsl.bellglobal.com is a
   DX2/66, and it holds up perfectly.

2. The Toronto Free-Net's main firewall box, 199.71.188.226 is also a DX2/66,
   and it is on the verge of collapse.  The TFN has a full T1+ running through
   it, all the time.

Both boxes are running NetBSD.