Subject: RE: IPNAT box, and ethernet cards
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul M. Newhouse <newhouse@rockhead.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/1998 16:47:41
>Normally, I'm a Mac kind of guy, but I've recently picked up a PC and a
>couple of ethernet cards to use as an IPNAT box between a cable modem
>and a small (~6 hosts) local network.  I have a couple of questions:
>
>The PC is a Gateway 2000 486/33.  Does it have enough horsepower to
>handle the job?

Whew! It might.  Right now we're running a 33.6 line off a 486/120 into
a Ethernet hub and it seems to hold up pretty well.  If we try to put a
bunch of NIC's in it and use it as a switch it can't keep up.

We're switching to ADSL (384x384) and setting up a AMD-233 to be the
100BaseT switch/news cacher/pop3/gateway/... thing.

Good luck,
Paul