Subject: Re: CDR-based backup
To: David Jones <dej@inode.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/1998 00:00:27
On Sat, Apr 11, 1998 at 04:19:23PM -0400, David Jones wrote:
> I'm thinking of going this route.  Software-wise, I'd need something that
> can stage an incremental backup onto a holding disk, convert it to ISO9660
> format, then blast it to a single session of a multi-session CD.  The holding
> disk is required, since the actual burning of the CD must be done in real-
> time - you cannot stop writing or let your data stream underrun once the
> write operation is in progress.

mkisofs + cdrecord should do the trick for you. The latest version of
cdrecord (1.6) comes with mkisofs. I'm not sure if 1.6 is out of alpha
yet, but it works reliably for me. You can also use the cdrecord package,
it uses 1.5.

All you need is something to generate a list of files that need to be backed
up, you could use find(1) for that. A script should easily do the trick.

- Frank