Subject: tty flag order for /etc/ttys?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1998 22:08:46
Is it a well known thing that the tty flags in /etc/ttys must be
in a specific order to work?  Or, is it a bug, perhaps PC532
specific? The scoop is that I got another disk, and installed 1.3.1
on it by setting DESTDIR and doing a "make build" in /usr/src, then
cleaning up all the differences between /etc and /altroot/etc.  I
was completely unable to get one of my PPP lines to connect, and
it appeared that getty wasn't running.  (From the terminal line
point of view, ps -ax said it was there.)  I could not find the
problem for all the searching in the world, and finally, as a random
stab, changed:

tty02	"/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"	unknown	on crtscts local

to:

tty02	"/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"	unknown	on local crtscts

and everything magically started working.  For those interested,
the symptoms were that I could get characters to echo at 9600 baud,
but no login prompts or anything.  A lot like if I had done s/on/off/
on that line.

I'm I too blind to see that behavior documented in one of the man
pages, or is it a bug?  (If it's a bug, I assume I should send-pr it.)

Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>