Subject: Re: ATM drivers...
To: Andrew K. Adams <akadams@wraith.psc.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 04/07/1998 10:25:43
On Tue, 07 Apr 1998 13:29:15 -0400
 "Andrew K. Adams" <akadams@wraith.psc.edu> wrote:

 > I was wondering if I could get some (or any) ATM status information on the
 > following:
 >

 > 	- Cards supported under current (either i386 or Alpha ports).

Efficient Networks, and the Adaptec equivalents.

 > 	- Minimal functionality of those drivers (ie. PVC, SVC, RFC 1588).

PVCs.  Basically, you can add static routes to hosts via link routes.

 > 	- Future support plans.

A couple of years ago, I was doing some work with ATM and NetBSD, but
ATM has fallen out of favor here, so I'm no longer doing any work on it.

However, with the new ARP framework we have, doing Classical IP over ATM
(i.e. with ATMARP) should be much easier than it was when I started working
on it :-)

 > Currently, we have several NetBSD platforms setup throughout our network,
 > however, we are in the process of migrating our backbone from FDDI to ATM
 > as any good giga-pop should :-) Unfortunately, moving our backbone to ATM
 > is forcing us to look at FreeBSD and Linux for some of the platforms (eg.
 > route servers) simply because of their ATM support.

Well, there's no need for that.  I know of an ISP that is using NetBSD
and an Adaptec ATM card to connect themselves to a city-wide backbone,
and last I heard, he was getting reasonable performance.

 > Although we are ordering Efficient cards (FreeBSD & Linux support
 > Efficient) for these boxes, I am very interested in driver support for
 > Digital's ATM card -- we have several DEC ATM cards doing nothing. Very
 > unfortunate, for Digital's ATM cards are very good.

Someone (Matthias Drochner, I think?) had a driver for the OPPO at one
point, but I don't know the status of the code.