Subject: Re: Intel clones: how well do they work?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <tooleym@douglas.bc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1998 22:28:02
;> How well do the various Intel-clone CPUs work with NetBSD?
;>
;> AMD K6 and Cyrix 6x86 in particular.
;>
;> I know that the Cyrix 486 was royally broken, and will not support
;> NetBSD. I am wary of anything not made by Intel.
;
;About the only bad thing I've heard about the K6 is that it is not as
;fast as the Intel chips for _heavy_ floating point.  The mailling list
;for the GIMPS project for finding large prime numbers quite often has a
;"my K6 isn't very fast" thread.  Other than that, I've heard nothing but
;good reports about them.

This is correct, the AMD chips are not as proficient in floating point
operations. This is not only documented but evident when playing such 3-d
based games as Quake--a similarly clocked AMD chip will not be able to
cope quite as well as an Intel, making them not very impressive game
engines. This could be a part of the price ratio, but who knows such
arcane facts.