Subject: Re: Intel clones: how well do they work?
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/1998 19:53:13
In message <199804010121.UAA25450@cyber3.servtech.com>, Brad Salai writes:
>Do you think the K6 might be the problem probing the 2940?

Honestly, no, I think it's probably a driver bug...  I don't know yet,
I haven't actually fixed it, I just started using the 2930 and disabling
the probe of the 2940.

But, keep in mind, the drivers for those are fairly similar; it's probably
pretty minor and easily fixed.

>I'm building my first 386 box, and have collected most of the parts. I waited
>until the end to think about a processor and am considering the K6. However, I
> do have a 2940, and would be _sad_ if I bought the processor, and the board d
>idn't work. A P233MMX is only about $20 or so more, safer choice?

Slower choice, certainly... :)  My experience is that the K6 really is about
25% faster on "real work".

I wouldn't worry too much.

-s