Subject: Re: Apache package (was Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits)
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1998 18:23:17
On a related note, the current Apache default conf.h settings for NetBSD
sucks.

In Apache 1.2 the conf.h section is:

#elif defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__)
#define HAVE_SYS_RESOURCE_H
#define HAVE_GMTOFF
#undef NO_KILLPG
#undef NO_SETSID
#define JMP_BUF sigjmp_buf
#define DEFAULT_USER "nobody"
#define DEFAULT_GROUP "nogroup"

If all reasonable versions of NetBSD support mmap(), HAVE_MMAP
should be added.

Then you need either USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT or
USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT.  Which one depends on what the platform
supports; if it supports both, then whichever is cheaper is better.
flock is probably better beacuse fcntl semantics suck for this
use.

For Apache 1.3, should probably add:

#define HAVE_MMAP 1
#define USE_MMAP_SCOREBOARD
#define USE_MMAP_FILES

As well.

Also, if NetBSD supports dlopen() and uses dlfcn.h, then HAVE_DLFCN_H
should be added.

These are easy to do, but simply require someone with access to the
platform to test it and to know what works and what they should be.
If necessary the OpenBSD and NetBSD section can be split, but I'm
guessing mmap and flock will work fine on both so that doesn't
matter; the only thing that could would be HAVE_DLFCN_H.

The mmap stuff has a reasonable performance impact (especially in 1.3
which can mmap files to send), and the serialized accept stuff can
be important.  If I can get confirmation about this stuff, I will
add it.  I don't have a NetBSD box to try.

--
     Marc Slemko     | Apache Group member
     marcs@znep.com  | marc@apache.org