Subject: Any luck with egcs-1.0.2 using stock NetBSD gcc?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@iafalls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/1998 21:58:48
I grabbed that new egcs 1.0.2 release since I remember someone commenting
on a NetBSD mailing list that the (then) upcoming release would build out
of the box on NetBSD.  I was able to get previous releases to build, but
they failed during Stage 3 (the Dwarf unwind thing).

Unfortunately, it seems like the new release fails on me even quicker than
before!

The first error is simple enough to workaround, but it makes me wonder if it
is even possible to compile egcs using gcc 2.7.x.x:

cc -c -g -I. -I.  filedoalloc.c
In file included from libio.h:30,
                 from iolibio.h:1,
                 from libioP.h:40,
                 from filedoalloc.c:48:
_G_config.h:32: syntax error before `_G_fpos_t'

_G_config.h line 32:
typedef _G_llong _G_fpos_t;

In this case, _G_llong isn't even typedef'ed unless you are using gcc 2.8+

#if __GNUC__ > 2 || __GNUC_MINOR__ >= 8
__extension__ typedef long long _G_llong;
__extension__ typedef unsigned long long _G_ullong;
#endif

And similar little things like that go on and on - maining problems with
our gcc not understanding __extension__ and unfound header files (In file
included from stdexcepti.cc:8:  stdexcept:35: exception: No such file or
directory).  After making 5 or 6 such little fixes, I temporarily gave up
and I am now looking for a better solution.

I'm running NetBSD/i386 1.3E, the stock GCC version 2.7.2.2+myc1, and I'm
building egcs with 'setenv CC gcc ; ./configure ; make'.  Does anyone have
any suggestions or ideas what could be so wrong?  I figure that it must
either be a problem with gcc 2.7 or so sort of 'configure' problem, but I
don't know where to start.

Jeff Thieleke