Subject: Re: Frustration
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/18/1998 02:15:30
Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au> typed:
:According to Mike Long:
:>The solution to your troubles is to follow these rules religiously:
:0) Always backup / & /usr so that you can easily get them back if
:something goes wrong.  I back mine up to another HD (my /usr/local)
:using dump.  If something does get screwed I can boot from the install
:floppy and do a restore of my old configuration.
:>1) Always have the COMPAT_ option for the most recent major release in
:>   your kernel config.  Since the last major release (i.e. not a patch
:>   release) was 1.3, you should have 'options COMPAT_13' in your kernel
:>   config.
:>2) Rebuild the kernel and reboot before building anything (*) in
:>   userland.

3) see if there have been any changes to fsck & friends.  If so, then test
   them before installing them.  Keep a backup of old ones anyway.
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : blown up, in for repairs
Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/   Ego URL: http://pobox.com/~gcw/