Subject: Re: MAN/CAT in distributions
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/1998 11:07:36
On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> I'd like to hear some opinion wrt possibly changing the X11 and base
> distributions to install unformatted man pages, or both formatted and
> unformatted.  I know I'm not the only one out there who uses troff and a
> real, honest to goodness, PostScript printer.

I'd vote against it, if we don't have a flexable install mechanism. If we
DO have a flexable install system (so I can no install unformatted pages),
then I'd vote for it.

Most of my systems are memory-bound, and I don't have laserprinters a
pleanty. So the nroff ones are fine, and I'd love to keep the space for
other stuff.

I think it would be good for the unformatted pages to be available (I know
there are a lot in the man.tgz set). I'd just prefer they not be in
base.tgz :-)

Take care,

Bill