Subject: mail config
To: current <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric Delcamp <edelcamp@Pop-Bordeaux-37.easynet.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/1998 23:21:27
Hi !

I'm very annoyed by a problem in my mail configuration. I use Elm, but I think
this is not the mailer, but maybe snedmail.cf. Here is the problem:

I have called my machine 'ibiscus.no.net' by setting the /etc/myname file.
So, my hostname is 'ibiscus' and my (non-existent) domain is 'no.net'.
When I'm connected to the net using my ISP, I have a dynamic ip via PPP. To
make some operation (like tranfering some FTP file to my ISP account, who
is very securized ;-), I need my real name. So, I have an ip-up file
that do an nslookup with my dynamic IP to get the name, then I assign this
name to my machine (via sethostname()).
By example, my IP is 195.114.95.37 and my host is 'Pop-Bordeaux-37.easynet.fr'.

-1- Is it the right way to do it ?

Now, if I send a mail via elm WHEN I'M NOT CONNECTED, I will send a mail
with hostname set to 'ibiscus.no.net'. And some mailer don't accept mails
from non-resolved DNS (like the one for easynet ;-).

-2- What should I change to be 'edelcamp@easynet.fr' even if I'm not
connected ? Just for the mails of course ;-)

I have a lots of trouble since ages with this problem.
Thanks.
--
Eric Delcamp             NetBSD user (Amiga & i386)    Bordeaux
edelcamp@easynet.fr      Galactic Bloodshed player     France

http://perso.easynet.fr/~edelcamp