Subject: Re: (notice about:) pkgs: why gtar & gcpio as package ?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gerryt <gerryt@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/1998 09:57:20
On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
>
> : I don't see any good reason for this.  Does it mean that post-1.3
> : systems won't have any native tar/cpio ?
>
> No; actually, mattew green is currently working on using our ``pax''
> (portable archiver) as both tar and cpio, which has had the proper
> functionality for some time now.

Will it do remote host backups like GNU cpio does in the identical manner of:

-Fremotehost.domain:/dev/rst0

Last time I checked with mrg, this was not so.
Without this, our backup scripts will no longer function and neither will
many other site backup tasks out there I suspect. I hope this functionality
is considered important enough to be added. Otherwise we'll have to keep
using the old stuff..