Subject: (notice about:) pkgs: why gtar & gcpio as package ?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1998 21:37:46
On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

: I don't see any good reason for this.  Does it mean that post-1.3
: systems won't have any native tar/cpio ?

No; actually, mattew green is currently working on using our ``pax''
(portable archiver) as both tar and cpio, which has had the proper
functionality for some time now.

The gtar and gcpio pkgs allow a user to use GNU tar or GNU cpio as desired,
since these versions do have several more esoteric options that some users
may want.  (But yes, our pax defaults to --unlink, has -Z and -z options
when run as tar, and most of the other things you'd expect.)