Subject: Re: install(1) vs. chown change
To: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1998 06:32:51
On Fri, 6 Mar 1998 12:02:41 -0500 (EST)  Todd Vierling wrote:

> I reread PR #3563 today relating to some annoyances in building a couple
> packages, and I have thought about how to allow a very slim set of
> circumstances through install(1) to allow -o/-g (set owner and group) to
> fail silently when the user is not root.  I have the following
> diff.

I understand the desire to build packages without root privileges, but
consider an install that ignored fchown() failure silently to be
broken.

If in the circumstances described it emitted a warning and continued I
wouldn't complain, although I wouldn't make the change myself.  File
ownership is important.

Regards,

Giles