To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@ix.netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/1998 03:57:27
Michael Graff wrote:

> Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com> writes:
>
> > One thing NetBSD _really_ needs is searchable list archives. I know
> > flame.org used to have them, but apparently that's been disabled. Since
> > nobody has taken up the project, how about getting one or more of the
> > commercial list archivers to do it?
>
> All I need is a good search engine, and I will have them searachable
> again...  The problem is, the engine I was using has some security holes.

You were using Excite's search engine, correct?  If so, then the
following might be applicable:

<http://geek-girl.com/bugtraq/1998_1/0108.html>

  "The security hole can be corrected by replacing single Perl library
file
   that is part of the EWS1.1 distribution.  There are two new versions
of
   this file available at http://www.excite.com/navigate/patches.html.
One
   version is for Unix platforms, the other is for Windows NT platforms.
   Changes are confined to two subroutines within the architext_query.pl
   library file.  The subroutines in question are 'MakeQuery' and
   'MakeGather'."

Jeff Thieleke
(can't wait for a searchable mailing list archive, either!)