Subject: Re: 3c905 media support..
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/1998 16:01:55
> I have a Dell Optiplex GXa (Pentium II 266) with an integrated

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX Pro 200, with the same problem.  I
reported the problem in PR 4782.

For what it's worth, at the time I submitted that PR, the latest
release of FreeBSD worked without a hitch on that hardware (including
the ethernet).  I would assume that FreeBSD still does.  I managed to
work around the problem by stealing an ethernet card from one of my
other machines, but if i hadn't had a spare, i'd have lost (and would
still be running FreeBSD on the box).

The install notes and web pages don't mention the 3c90x, but the i386
kernel config files do (and indicate it's supported by the 'ep'
driver), and the driver seems to want to support it.  "Too bad that
that support doesn't work so well (at least on our boxes)."  8-)

> I have tried this with the medium type set to "Auto NWAY", and with
> 100Mbs/Full Duplex.

What do you mean?  You have a BIOS option, or something? (Wah!  I
don't! 8-)

cgd