Subject: de looping in interrupt on heavy load
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: William Coldwell <>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/1998 19:27:00
Problem:  Under heavy ftp/scp transfers, the machine will stop responding on
the network... and become pretty much a doorstop.  Sometimes I would find
the keyboard LEDs stuck off and non-responsive.. other times, just the getty
was there, and wouldn't accept anything, just echoing ^C ^Z, etc.  I started
ripping things out of the conf file.. to no avail.

After fighting with this problem for about 2 weeks, I finally was able to
catch it in DDB and do a trace.

What we're seeing is it's spinning inside of the tulip_rx_intr code jumping
into malloc, eintrnames, m_free, and some other vm and kernel calls before
coming right back to the interrupt.  Now, I'm not a DDB jock, and I don't
play one on TV, so I can't really be of much more help :/

I _believe_ this started about the time that Matt Thomas moved the de driver
to the bus_dma architecture, and I suspect something got biffed.  Anyway,
this is really a pisser, because I can't even FTP the 1.3 archive to bring
the system back up since it tickles it.  It only happens under heavy network
load, and there doesn't seem to be a specific amount of time (the worse kinds
to track down).

Frustrated as hell.  Is anyone else seeing this with the de 21040?

William J. Coldwell                             MediaPlex Communications
Gizmo Attitude Adjuster                         Internet Extra Corporation                    WebMaster, Inc.
v:408.346.0106 p:415.423.8147                   Warped Communications